Next Generation Multi Services Network is term which does not have a specific meaning. It offers services like VoIP, IP Telephony, Soft phones, Instant Messaging and Location based services. These services are also accessible from traditional circuit switched networks.
Next-generation multi-service solutions also provide:
- Service and technology flexibility
- Rapid provisioning
- Efficient and effective network management, allowing service providers to offer robust service-level agreements (SLAs)
- A platform that meets the requirements of existing voice and data services and the emerging transmission and application services of tomorrow
The advantages of next-generation multi-service switching are :
- Using next-generation multi-service ATM architectures, providers can maintain existing services such as circuit-based voice and circuit-based video, while migrating to and implementing new packet-based network services such as packet voice, Layer 2 and Layer 3 VPNs, MPLS, and MPLS traffic engineering features. Many providers will maintain ATM infrastructures and might need to bridge from a traditional ATM platform to a next-generation multiservice ATM platform.
- Multiple service types of ATM, voice, MPLS (Multiprotocol Label Switching ) , and IP are supported on the same physical infrastructure, allowing the provider to leverage both circuit-based and packet-based revenue streams.
- Control plane independence allows you to upgrade or maintain one controller type independently, without interrupting service for other controllers.
- You have the ability to choose and implement a control plane that is best suited to the application requirements.
- The separation of the control and switching planes allow the vendor to develop functional enhancements independently of each other.
- The cost-effective approach of adding MPLS to ATM switch infrastructure allows for the migration to MPLS as a common control plane.