- A softphone is an application that runs on a general purpose device and provides IP phone capabilities.
- A softphone is asoftware which provide the facility of telephone calls on the internet by using any common computer without using any dedicated hardware.
- Commonly the use of softphones is not suggested. First the security and availability of the softphones is depend on the underlying device.The common purpose nature of the device may endanger voice services.
- Secondly, the use of softphones also violate the IPT phone and security zones restrictions.
- When there is need then softphones should be used as a secondary communication means.
- A softphone is usually used with a headset connected to the sound card of the PC or with a USB phones.
- A separate security zone is established for devices which are using softphones .
- A typical softphones has all normal telephony feature like mute, flash, hold, or transfer, etc. and many new ones like wideband, audio, video, etc.
- For communication using softphones both the endpoints must have the same communication protocol.
- Application of softphones are:
a> A usual application of softphone is to make calls via an internet
telephony service provider to other softphones or to telephones.
b> There are three internet telephony service providers having their own
softphones that you install on your computer , these are Skype,
Google talk and Vonage.These providers are not interoperable
and you cannot place a direct call between them.
- Requirements of softphones are :
a> In internet connectivity like DSL, WiFi Cable or LAN .28.8 dial up
modem are enough if want to use.
b> In any modern PC with a headset or with USB phone, or with a